seaQuest: The Dawning
seaQuest and RPG Glossary
Most of these were pulled from the "Mirriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary (10th Edition)". Additional notes are marked with a * after or in place of the official definition. Additional definitions were taken from the RPG Guide, used without permission.
Artificial Intelligence (AI):
1. The capability of machines to imitate intelligent human behavior.
2. A branch of computer science dealing with the simulation of intelligent behavior in computers.
* The Computer on seaQuest fell into this type of system. The best examples of how that works would be the Hologram in Bridger's quarters and the system that allowed Darwin to talk.
A heavy substance used to improve the stability and control of the draft of a ship or the ascent of a balloon.
*On the seaQuest these are adjustable tanks that hold water. The amount of water in those tanks determines if the ship rises to the surface, sinks to the bottom, or stays where it is. Allow for fine adjustment of the ships verticals position in the water.
To go or incline in an indicated direction.
*Indicates what direction the ship is going. 0 degrees is North, 90 degrees is East, 180 degrees is South, 270 degrees is West. 0-0-0 would mean the ship is going north while 1-9-7 would mean that the ship is going 197 degrees (about south-south-west).
The forward part of the ship.
* The creation which only exists in the RPG environment.
* Nuclear fusion that works at temperatures far below those of the sun (such as room temperature). It is considered impossible due to the amount of energy needed for fusion to take place.
A solid material which is composed of two or more substances having different physical characteristics and in which each substance retains its identity while contributing desirable properties to the whole.
* Usually achieved by weaving or sandwiching the materials together without fusing them. Do not confuse with alloys, which are two materials that have been fused together.
A size, number, or amount large enough to produce a particular result.
1. A lack of continuity or cohesion.
2. The property of being not mathematically continuous.
* Things that are not in order. Usually present in time travel.
Any of numerous complex proteins that are produced by living cells and catalyze specific bio-chemical reactions at boty temperatures.
* Related to the cold fusion system in the seaQuest. True definition not known. Most likely a fictional material.
Taking place outside a vehicle.
1. A dimension in addition to length, breadth, and depth. A coordinate in addition to three rectangular coordinates. When interpreted as the time coordinate in space-time continuum.
2. Something outside the range of ordinary experience.
A relatively stable state of equilibrium or a tendency toward such a state between the different but interdependent elements or groups of elements of an organism, population, or group.
* seaQuest's bio-skin is Homeostatic.
The growing of plants in nutrient solutions with or without and inert medium to provide mechanical support.
* The growing of plants in Air or Water rather than Dirt.
* All action and comments made by a character.
Any of two or more species of atoms of a chemical element with the same atomic number and nearly identical chemical behavior but with differing atomic mass or mass number and different physical properties.
* An example would be Hydrogen. A normal Hydrogen does one thing but when you add a couple of neutrons to it's nucleus the effects change. Two isotopes of Hydrogen are deuterium and tritium. Both are heavier and tritium is also radioactive.
An uncharged elementary particle that has a mass nearly equal to that of the proton and is present in all known atomic nuclei except the hydrogen nucleus.
* In nuclear fission reactors and nuclear weapons a reaction is induced through a stream of neutrons.
Non-Player Character (NPC):
* These characters have no author and may be used by anyone. They are usually minor characters. These may be created as a sidekick or love interest for one of the PCs.
The union of atomic nuclei to form heavier nuclei resulting in the release of enormous quantities of energy when certain light elements unite.
* seaQuest functioned on a fusion reactor. This is still highly experimental and only found in labs currently.
* Comments made by the player, not the character. Can be for clarification or to ask a question.
A collection of charges particles (as in the atmospheres of stars or in a metal) containing about equal numbers of positive ions and electrons and exhibiting some properties of a gas but differing from a gas in being a good conductor of electricity and in being affected by a magnetic field.
* The creator and author of an RPG character.
Player Character (PC):
* Those characters who have an author. Generally the major characters of the RPG.
The left side of a ship or aircraft looking forward.
* What is submitted to the mailing list or RPG group. This is your contribution to the storyline.
A rapid emergency shutdown of a nuclear reactor.
A point or region of infinite mass density at which space and time are infinitely distorted by gravitational forces and which is held to be the final state of matter falling into a black hole.
* The center of black holes where the curvature of space-time is infinite.
The right of a ship or aircraft looking forward.
The rear end of a boat.
A radioactive isotope of hydrogen with atoms of three times the mass of ordinary light hydrogen atoms.
* The primary fusion fuel source for the seaQuest.